Cornerstone Housing’s Booth Street residence closed until further notice following fire
Posted Aug 30, 2022 12:30:00 AM.
Cornerstone Housing for Women, which provides emergency shelter and supportive housing to women in Ottawa at risk of homelessness, says its residence on Booth Street will remain closed until further notice in the wake of a fire at the site in June.
According to the organization's executive director Sarah Davis, a fire which was isolated to one unit within the residence left the site with significant water and mold damage, but no injuries were sustained.
We truly value your support, which is why we would like to share unfortunate news about our Booth St. residence. At the end of June, there was a small fire in one of our resident rooms, and while no one was harmed, the result has been extensive water and mold damage. pic.twitter.com/kD4xvx52uo
— Cornerstone Housing for Women (@HopeCornerstone) August 26, 2022
Those affected by the fire were re-located to a temporary site, with the assistance of the City of Ottawa.
“As soon as they heard the news, we had program staff from different departments showing up to support us,” Davis told CityNews Ottawa on Monday, Aug. 29.
“We're lucky enough to work with a few of the members that we worked with throughout our shelter move, so folks that are really dedicated to the mission of Cornerstone. They worked overtime, they've come in on their own time to support us, to ensure that the women were moved safely.”
While tenants at Cornerstone have been temporarily relocated, Davis says it is unfortunately not their home.
“As you can imagine, having a fire in your own home can be very unsettling,” she explained. “You're isolated from your home, your space, your belongings, your things and this has happened yet again to the tenants at Cornerstone.”
Davis adds they are unsure when residents will be able to move back into the site on Booth Street, as it is dependent on when repairs can be completed and the building can be deemed safe.
Anyone looking to support those displaced as a result of the fire is encouraged to provide donations of money or gift cards.