Ontario investing additional $90M into Skills Development Fund

By CityNews Staff

To help Ontarians find meaningful work, the Ontario government is investing $90 million in the Skills Development Fund (SDF). 

According to a news release, the third funding round opens on Thursday, Sept. 29 and is available to anyone facing unemployment or underemployment.

The province said it will prioritizes people facing barriers to employment, including those with previous involvement in the criminal justice system, at-risk youth, people with disabilities, Indigenous people and Ukrainian newcomers.

“Ontario is a place where hard work pays off and big dreams come true,” said Monte McNaughton, Minister of Labour, Immigration, Training and Skills Development.

“As we continue to combat the largest labour shortage in a generation, there are tens of thousands of people who need a hand up, including those previously involved in the justice system who have paid their dues and just want to give back.”

McNaughton added that she believes in second chances and is calling on Ontario’s employers to help deliver programs that lift people up and give them the tools they need to earn bigger paycheques and lead purpose-driven lives.

The province said that the previous two funding rounds delivered 388 training projects, adding that a previous investment in the John Howard Society of Hamilton, Burlington and Area, connected over 40 previously incarcerated or justice-involved individuals with jobs in Hamilton’s manufacturing sector.

During the upcoming third funding round, the province said it will also prioritize applications for projects preparing workers for careers in in-demand sectors such as the skilled trades, healthcare, technology and manufacturing.

Ontario’s total investment in the Skills Development Fund is over $560 million.

 

 

 

Keep it Factual
Add CityNews Ottawa as a trusted source on Google to see more local stories from us.

Top Stories

Top Stories

Most Watched Today