Beechwood, Funeral, Cemetery and Cremation Services (“Beechwood”) is owned by The Beechwood Cemetery
Foundation and operated by The Beechwood Cemetery Company. The Beechwood Cemetery Foundation is a
not-for-profit organization and a registered Canadian charity. Beechwood is governed by an active volunteer
Board of Directors and is the only organization of its kind in Ottawa.
As the National Cemetery of Canada, Beechwood is dedicated to delivering high-quality service to honour our
forefathers and set a precedent for future generations.
Reporting to Beechwood’s Director of Cemetery Operations, the Operations Administrative Assistant is
responsible for handling incoming telephone calls, providing secretarial, clerical and administrative support to
the Family Services and Funeral Services departments as well as the other staff members in order to ensure that
services at Beechwood, Funeral, Cemetery and Cremation Services are provided in an effective and efficient
• Articulate and demonstrate Beechwood’s Mission, Vision and Values both internally and externally.
• Assist in compiling data into software and produce various reports.
• Using exceptional communication skills, answer incoming telephone calls, assist callers, take messages,
provide information, make referrals, and direct calls to staff members.
• Navigate client account information and protect privacy in accordance with local legislation.
• Receive and process cremation and burial requests from funeral homes associated with Beechwood
Cemetery on an as needed basis. This includes setting up the order and making sure that the
appropriate legal paperwork is present before proceeding with burial and/or cremation.
• Maintain the digital and hard document filing system and ensure that all of the filing is up to date.
• Maintain an adequate inventory of office supplies and monitor the usage of supplies and equipment.
• Generate maps and update an online filing system during our flowerbed planting season.
• Generate maps and update an online filing system during our yearly lot infractions season.
• Answer all inquiries regarding lot infractions from clients and families.
• When needed:
o Provide burial maps to the appropriate grounds staff prior to the burial.
o Provide administrative support to the President/Executive Director and other staff members
o Assist in the scheduling of meetings and conferences and ensure that the schedule is up to date
at all times.
o Process all deeds. (Insert the company seal on the deed, provide envelope for mailing and make
any changes as necessary)
o Greet and assist visitors and the general public and redirect to the appropriate staff member as
o Sort and redirect e-mails to the appropriate staff member as needed.
o Respond to e-mails of customers inquiring about genealogical research and/or locations.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
• A person who is fluently bilingual and has excellent communication skills is an asset.
• Minimum Education – High School Diploma.
• Post-secondary education or experience in Administration or a related field is an asset.
• Must achieve a high degree of accuracy.
• Experience with Microsoft Office applications is an asset.
• Must be passionate about helping others and developing professional skills.
• Must have strong multi-tasking abilities within time sensitive assignments.
• Must be proficient with Microsoft office applications.
• Salary is $40,000/year.
• Monday to Friday; 8:00 to 5:00 with the occasional weekend shift (as required).
• After 1 full year of employment, receive 1 additional week off during the Holiday/New Year period.
• Competitive benefits.
Beechwood is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all candidates who apply, however, only those selected
for a personal interview will be contacted. No phone calls and/or agencies please. Candidates may be subject
to background inquiries which are satisfactory to us.
Please forward resumes to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.