Ontario's Minister of Transportation is providing some clarity regarding the provincial government's newly announced inquiry into Ottawa's light rail transit (LRT) project.
"The people of the City of Ottawa have been living with a system now, for two years, that's not working," said Caroline Mulroney on Thursday, November 18. "[They're] trying to get to work and the trains don't come, kids trying to get to school and trains don't come, and so I think, for transit riders in the City of Ottawa, from their perspective, this is something that's needed."
Mulroney explains that the focus of the inquiry will be safety along Ottawa's rail lines, technical elements of the transit system, what the government is getting for the money its spending, and holding the City of Ottawa and its LRT builders accountable.
"We are working quickly to establish the terms of reference and determine the scope, appoint a commissioner, but we know that the people of Ottawa want answers quickly, so my hope is to have recommendations in the new year so that we can then move forward with Stage 2."
Mulroney says the province will foot the bill for the inquiry, but didn't say how much it would cost.
Speaking of money though, the minister didn't blink at the idea her government could hold some back from the City of Ottawa.
"We held back 10 per cent of our Stage 1 funding last year and so we won't hesitate to do that again if we need to, but the purpose of this inquiry is to determine what went wrong and develop recommendations going forward," she said.