As the end of the first month of school approaches, Ottawa’s school boards are reporting over 100 active COVID-19 cases within its schools, causing some classes to close.
As of Friday, September 24, data from the city’s four school boards are cumulatively reporting 113 cases among both students and staff.
However, Ottawa Public Health (OPH) statistics show that no one under the age of 20 is in hospital with the virus.
Ottawa-Carleton District School Board (OCDSB)
OCDSB is reporting 39 active cases of the virus among students, five among its staff with three third-party cases.
Third-party cases refer to individuals who may be involved in a school who are not students or staff — this includes transportation providers, breakfast program volunteers, etc.
These cases have forced the school board to close two elementary school classes.
There are 32 secondary schools in total under the OCDSB, and of those, 11 are reporting active cases. That works out to be about 34 per cent of schools reporting COVID cases.
The secondary school cases are found at:
- A.Y. Jackson Secondary School
- Brookfield High School
- Cairine Wilson Secondary School
- Gloucester High School
- Hillcrest High School
- Lisgar Collegiate Institute
- Longfields-Davidson Heights Secondary School
- Nepean High School
- Ridgemont High School
- West Carleton Secondary School
- Norman Johnston Secondary
There are 113 elementary schools in total under the OCDSB. Of those, 18 are reporting active cases, which means about 16 per cent of schools are reporting active virus cases.
The elementary schools reporting cases are:
- Bridlewood Community Elementary School
- Churchill Alternative School
- Crystal Bay Centre for Special Education
- Farley Mowat Public School
- Glen Cairn Public School
- Henry Munro Middle School
- Kars on the Ride Public School
- Lakeview Public School
- Le Phare Elementary School
- Manor Park Public School
- Maple Ridge Elementary School
- Metcalfe Public School
- Roberta Bondar Public School
- Rockcliffe Park Public School
- Steve MacLean Public School
- Stittsville Public School
- Stonecrest Elementary School
- Queen Elizabeth Public School
Ottawa Catholic School Board (OCSB)
The OCSB is reporting 25 confirmed COVID-19 cases — a count that includes both students and staff — in 22 of its schools.
The board isn’t currently reporting any closed classes or schools due to the cases.
There are 17 secondary schools under the OCSB. Among those, five are reporting active virus cases, meaning about 24 per cent of schools are reporting COVID cases.
The five secondary schools reporting cases can be found at:
- All Saints High School
- Holy Trinity Catholic High School
- St. Joseph High School
- St. Patrick’s High School
- St. Paul High School
With 72 elementary schools under the OCSB, 13 are reporting active cases — or 18 per cent.
Cases at the following elementary schools have been reported:
- Assumption School
- Dr. F.J. McDonald Catholic School
- Georges Vanier Catholic School
- Guardian Angels School
- Monsignor Paul Baxter School
- Our Lady of Mount Carmel School
- St Andrew School
- St. Augustine School
- St. Benedict School
- St. Brigid School
- St. John the Apostle School
- St. Monica School
- St. Stephen School
Conseil des écoles publiques de l’Est de l’Ontario
The school board is reporting 14 active cases among students across its schools and one staff case.
This has forced the school board to close three classes as a result.
There are 38 schools under this school board, 11 of which are reporting active cases (or 28 per cent).
The schools reporting cases include:
- De La Salle
- Julie Payette
- Le Sommet
- Nouvel Horizon
- Rose des Vents
Conseil des écoles catholiques du Centre-Est
There are 58 schools under this school board, 16 of which are reporting cases (or about 27.5 per cent).
Cases have been reported at the following schools:
- Collège catholique Samuel-Genest
- École élémentaire catholique de la Découverte
- École élémentaire catholique La Vérendrye
- École élémentaire catholique Laurier-Carrière
- École élémentaire catholique Mgr-Rémi-Gaulin
- École élémentaire catholique Montfort
- École élémentaire catholique Pierre-Elliott-Trudeau
- École élémentaire catholique Saint-Joseph d’Orléans
- École élémentaire catholique Saint-Rémi
- École élémentaire catholique Sainte-Anne
- École élémentaire catholique Sainte-Geneviève
- École secondaire catholique Garneau
- École secondaire catholique Paul-Desmarais
- École secondaire catholique Pierre-Savard
- La Source, enseignement personnalisé