Skip to content
live

Québec launches COVID vaccine campaign for general population

The province is opening up appointments for those 60 and over as of Aug. 22 and those 18 plus on Aug. 29 – through the Clic Santé website.
vaccine-creditVickiSmithGettyImages

Quebec is launching its next COVID-19 vaccination campaign and says public health is not recommending more measures, like mandatory masking – for now.

The province is opening up appointments for those 60 and over as of Aug. 22 and those 18 plus on Aug. 29 – through the Clic Santé website.

“If it’s been five months or more that you got your last dose, it’s time to get a booster,” said the Premier François Legault. “It’s important that you get this [booster] for three reasons: first for yourselves, second for vulnerable people around you, and to help health care workers – it’s important, they’ve had a tough two years, they need your help, so please get your new dose.”

As of today, those 75 and over, those living in isolate communities, and health workers that have contact with patients, can already take their appointments.

“We also have the month of September where we have kids going back to school, people going more inside, so I think it’s important that the message be very clear to the population: please go and get your new vaccine, for you, for your people around you and to help our health-care workers,” added Legault.

The province started making a fifth dose of the vaccine available to those in long-term care homes and private seniors’ residences on Monday. They are aiming to finish the campaign in CHSLDs by Sept. 1 and RPAs as of Sept. 25.

“We have the capacity to vaccinated all those that want to be vaccinated,” said Christian Dubé, Québec health minister, explaining that there are 150 vaccine sites already in place – but they will work to put in place bigger centres like had been done initially.

This, as Québec adds 36 deaths, but sees a decrease in hospitalizations by 29 – with 1,964 patients total.

As of Tuesday, 56 per cent of those eligible have gotten a third dose and 19 per cent with a fourth.

“We have to be careful with the COVID because it’s still moving in the community,” said Dr. Luc Boileau, the public health director. “Of course, it’s less than it was a couple of weeks ago, but it is obvious that during the month of September, it might again raise a little bit. Or even worse than that.”

 

Rogers Sports & Media
2001 Thurston Drive Ottawa, ON, K1G 6C9
© 2006-2022 Rogers Sports & Media. All rights reserved.
push icon
Be the first to read breaking stories. Enable push notifications on your device. Disable anytime.
No thanks