A Gatineau man is facing six charges after a car rammed an Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) cruiser in an effort to elude officers on Highway 401, west of Kingston.
OPP officers responded to calls on Sunday afternoon about an erratic driver on the highway, passing other cars on the shoulder and speeding. The OPP says the same vehicle was the subject of a police investigation in another jurisdiction earlier in the day.
Officers were eventually able to bring the vehicle to a stop by boxing it in with police vehicles.
Andre Merilainen-Cayen, 30, has been charged with:
- Dangerous Operation of a motor vehicle;
- Possession of Property Obtained by Crime;
- Flight from Police;
- Possession of a Weapon for a Dangerous Purpose;
- Operation While Impaired - alcohol and drug; and
- Operating a motor vehicle while over legal blood alcohol limit.
He was held for a bail hearing, scheduled for Tuesday, July 6.