A 30-year-old Gatineau man is facing 15 charges following two car jackings in Ottawa's west end and a police pursuit on Highway 401.
Ottawa police officers say the two incidents took place shortly after 4 p.m., Sunday, July 4. OPP officers then responded to calls about an erratic driver on the highway, passing other cars on the shoulder and speeding.
The suspected vehicle was finally caught by OPP cruisers just west of Kingston.
Andre Merilainen-Cayen, 30, has been charged with:
- Robbery with an offensive weapon (five counts)
- Possession of weapon for committing an offence (two counts)
- Dangerous operation of a motor vehicle (two counts)
- Dangerous operation of a motor vehicle
- Possession of property obtained by crime
- Flight from police
- Possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose
- Operation while impaired - alcohol and drug
- Operating a motor vehicle while over legal blood alcohol limit
Merilainen-Cayen remains in police custody.