The Ottawa Police Service has arrested a man it believes was involved in more than 20 incidents of theft or fraud across the city.
Officers have been investigating incidents dating back to February, in which a man was stealing purses, wallets or any other valuables left unattended by their owners at universities, stores and coffee shops. The suspect then used the stolen credit cards to make a number of purchases.
An investigation by the OPS's Organized Fraud Unit the Ottawa International Airport lead to Central General Criminal Investigation Unit to identifying a man was travelling under a false identity, and using an airfare ticket purchased with a stolen credit card number.
An arrest was made Thursday.
Brian Perry, 47, of no fixed address was charged with the following:
- Fraud under $5,000 (12 counts)
- Theft under $5,000 (10 counts)
- Possession of Property obtained by crime
- Procure, Possess, transfer or sell identity document
- Use a forged document
- Fail to comply with probation order
- Fail to comply with undertaking
- Obstruct peace officer
He appeared in court Friday.