3 more arrested in Manchester; attacker’s Libya ties probed
Posted May 24, 2017 06:37:49 AM.
Last Updated May 24, 2017 09:03:37 AM.
This article is more than 5 years old.
British police and intelligence agencies arrested three more suspects Wednesday in connection with the Manchester suicide bombing and moved quickly to secure key sites across the country, including Buckingham Palace and the British Parliament at Westminster.
Home Secretary Amber Rudd said the bomber, identified as British-born Libyan Salman Abedi, “likely” did not act alone when he killed 22 people and wounded dozens at an Ariana Grande concert Monday night in Manchester. She said he had been known to security forces “up to a point.” Officials are examining Abedi’s trips to Libya as they worked to piece together his allegiances and foil any new potential threats.
Police said three men were arrested Wednesday in south Manchester, where a day earlier a 23-year-old man was also arrested and a number of homes were searched.
Britain raised its threat level from terrorism to “critical” after an emergency government meeting late Tuesday amid concerns that the 22-year-old Abedi may have accomplices who are planning another attack. British soldiers have been deployed in place of police officers to guard high-profile sites such as Buckingham Palace and Parliament.
London Police Commander Jane Connors said the goal is to “make our city as hostile an environment as possible for terrorists to plan and operate.”
She said armed police will also be ready to respond quickly to any incidents and their walking patrols had been increased.
The changing of the guard ceremony at Buckingham Palace was cancelled Wednesday so police officers can be re-deployed, Britain’s defence ministry said. The traditional ceremony at the palace is a major tourist attraction in London.
The Palace of Westminster, which houses the British Parliament in London, was also closed Wednesday to all those without passes, and tours and events there were cancelled until further notice. Armed police were seen on patrol outside St. Paul’s Cathedral in London, another popular tourist spot.
Manchester health officials have raised the number of wounded in the concert bombing, saying 119 people sought medical treatment at the city’s hospitals after the attack.
Jon Rouse, with the Greater Manchester Health and Social Care Partnership, said 64 people were still hospitalized. He said the number of overall wounded was raised due to the “walking wounded” who came in hours after the attack.
Rouse said many of those hospitalized had serious wounds that would require “very long term care and support in terms of their recovery.”
Related stories:
Terrorism at centre stage as Trudeau heads to Europe for NATO, G7 summits
Warning of “imminent” attack, Britain raises threat level
Empire State Building goes dark for Manchester victims
Abedi was born in Britain to a Libyan family, grew up in Manchester’s southern suburbs and attended the local Salford University for a time.
Police on Tuesday raided his house, using a controlled explosion to blast down the door. Neighbors recalled him as a tall, thin young man who often wore traditional Islamic dress and did not talk much.
British Prime Minister Theresa May Wednesday chaired a meeting of her emergency security cabinet group known as Cobra to deal with the intelligence reports about Abedi and concerns that he might have had outside support.
Police also raided and searched a property elsewhere in Manchester where Abedi’s brother Ismail is thought to have lived. A 23-year-old man has also been arrested as part of the investigation but officials have released no details about him.
Officials are probing how often Abedi had travelled to Libya, which has seen an eruption of armed Islamist groups since dictator Moammar Gadhafi was overthrown and killed in 2011.
France’s interior minister said Abedi is believed to have travelled to Syria and had “proven” links with ISIS.
Minister Gerard Collomb said Wednesday on BFM television that British and French intelligence have information that Abedi had been to Syria. He did not provide details, and said it’s unclear whether Abedi was part of a larger network of attackers.
British officials have not commented on whether Abedi had links to ISIS or other extremist groups.
Rudd said Britain’s increased official threat level will remain at “critical” as the investigation proceeds and won’t be lowered until security services are convinced there is no active plot in place.
She also complained about U.S. officials leaking sensitive information about Abedi to the U.S. press.
“I have been very clear with our friends that that should not happen again,” she said.
The Associated Press’ Sylvie Hui, Rob Harris and Angela Charlton contributed to the story.