Ottawa Public Health yet to develop a plan, guidance for Easter long weekend, April spring break
Posted Feb 13, 2021 07:48:00 PM.
Last week, the Ontario government decided to move march break to April — so what is Ottawa doing to prepare for the change?
The Easter long weekend falls on April 2 to 5 this year, leaving plenty of opportunity for people to gather and spark another increase in cases. Now with the new spring break being just a week following the long weekend, it’s another event that has the potential to increase further spread in the community.
Education Minister Stephen Lecce made the announcement Thursday, saying the decision to postpone the break was based on advice of the province’s top doctor, and is an important way schools can help limit community transition.
As for a plan for the city — Ottawa Public Health says it has not yet developed guidance related to Easter or the school spring break.
“We will continue to monitor local COVID-19 indicators and follow directives from provincial government in the coming weeks and months,” OPH said. “OPH has been providing guidance for social gatherings, holidays and outdoor activities on its SocialWise page since the beginning of the pandemic, and will continue to update the information based on local recommendations and context.”
On Friday, Ottawa’s top doctor Dr. Vera Etches says her advice hasn’t changed when it comes to gatherings (like this weekend’s Lunar New Year, Valentine’s Day and Family Day), residents must continue with routine behaviours that “we know keep COVID-19 transmission low: wear a mask, limit close contact to the people you live with, stay two metres apart from others, stay home when you’re sick except to get tested and practice proper hand hygiene.”
More businesses will be opening next week, as well, as the city heads into the Orange zone, but students have already been back at school since late January.
Avoid mixing households with other children unless it is essential for childcare, Etches says.
“When children are not in school or childcare, they should not be in close contact with anyone outside their household – this is crucial to keeping our children healthy and in school,” she said. “We also ask that residents not travel outside the region unless it is for essential reasons. Staying home is the best way to protect yourself and others, especially with the presence of more transmissible variants.”
The new spring break dates only apply to elementary and secondary school students — students in college and university will keep to their regular reading week schedules.
For Carleton University, that means this week — their reading week ends on February 19 — which means the school is closed until then, as does the University of Ottawa’s.
And for Algonquin College, their winter break takes place from March 1 to 5.
That means there are three solid weeks of students on break and not participating in school, between February and April.
It is also a time when virus variants have been detected in the province.
Public health officials in Kitchener identified a probable case of a COVID-19 variant in a student at W.T. Townshend Public School, which they announced Saturday morning.
It is not yet known what variant the student tested positive for.
The first case of the Brazil variant was recorded on February 7, a variant which is described as “highly transmissible,” in Toronto.
On February 4, Public Health Ontario revealed in a study that on a single day in January, they found variants in 5.5 per cent of cases that were screened, with the majority linked to a long-term care home outbreak.
Dr. Vanessa Allen, the agency's top microbiologist, said the results highlight how quickly variants of COVID-19 can spread in an outbreak.
While the data suggests low prevalence, variants are expected to spread rapidly, she said.
“Essentially, doubling is expected approximately every one to two weeks,” Allen said.
Ontario’s third case of the UK COVID variant was reported in Ottawa on December 27. It was confirmed the individual had travelled to the UK.
The first two cases were reported in the Durham Regions. which was a couple who had been in contact with a recent traveller from the UK.
Ontario holds the most cases of the UK variant.
County-wide, there are 28 cases of the South African variant (as of February 11) and one case of the Brazil variant.
Four teachers' unions decried the postponement in a joint statement Thursday and called on the government to reverse the move.
“The government’s decision to postpone March Break does not take into consideration the mental health and well-being of those involved,” the statement said.
It is not yet known when Ottawa Public Health will release a plan for the upcoming spring break.
Last year, there were no plans or restrictions laid out for travellers come March. It wasn’t until March 14 when the federal government urged Canadians abroad to return home as new restrictions would be imposed with little warning.
The government had also previous advised Canadian travellers to cancel or postpone their trips.
– With files from The Canadian Press and CityNews Toronto