Suspect arrested in Morocco believed to be responsible for bomb threats across Ontario
Posted Nov 30, 2023 04:42:58 PM.
Last Updated Dec 1, 2023 09:56:23 AM.
Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) says they believe a person of interest arrested in Morocco for their alleged involvement in a series of bomb threats made in Belgium is also responsible for similar threats across the province.
OPP said multiple schools and other public facilities received threatening messages from an unknown individual, indicating that bombs had been placed at their locations.
On Nov. 1, 2023, Kipling Collegiate Institute, Lakeshore Collegiate Institute and Western Technical Commercial School were evacuated, and students were sent home for the day before a sweep of the schools revealed no threat.
Police in Halton Region said Nelson High School in Burlington was also evacuated due to a similar threat. No injuries were reported.
OPP said the threats also included a demand for money in exchange for details about the alleged explosives. No actual explosives were ever found.
On Thursday, the OPP revealed that Belgian police arrested one person in Morocco in connection with a series of bomb threats against schools in Belgium earlier this week.
An OPP spokesperson said through the investigation in Ontario, authorities have strong reason to believe this same person is connected to the threats “and major disruption” made in the province.
OPP is working with Belgian police as the investigation continues. The OPP said investigators cannot speculate when or if the individual will face charges in Canada.
The accused was not identified.