Owners and operators at Calypso Theme Waterpark are using the next few weeks to make sure they're ready as soon as the Government of Ontario gives the green light for the next step of its economic reopening plan.
The province has said it would be waiting 21 days between launching into new steps of its plan, which would put Step 2 of Ontario's reopening on July 2.
President of the Limoges park Sylvain Lauzon says everything is just about ready to go.
"Right now of course it's [about] reinforcing the different protocols that we put in place to be able to welcome families in early July. Last year we had to put together a very comprehensive reopening plan and it was accepted by the health units."
Lauzon says he's been in very close contact with the Eastern Ontario Health Unit to make sure the park is following public health measures in order to reopen safely.
"Our guests will have to wear masks at all times, except of course when they're in the rides themselves, but anywhere else they're going to have to wear masks. That's the protocol that's in place, and distancing in the queuing everywhere," explains Lauzon. "It's a very large site. Our site, of course, is an outdoor waterpark spread over 100 acres, so there's plenty of space and there's going to be reduced capacity."
Calypso will be limited to 25 per cent capacity when it first opens, which its president says will likely make it difficult to make a profit at the beginning. He adds, however, that the park is part of a larger corporation and will be receiving financial support to run the waterpark this summer.